Paralyzed Veterans of America Central Florida
Educational Scholarship Program 2017/18 School Year
The Paralyzed Veterans of America Central Florida Chapter (PVACF) primary goal has been to assist its members in improving the quality of their lives. The implementation of the Educational Scholarship Program would directly affect our organizations contribution to our members as well as providing our members a program to help them achieve higher education.
• Applicant must be a PVACF member in good standing, and/or their significant other
• Applicant must be accepted and enrolled as a full-time or part-time student in an accredited US college or university.
• Previous award recipients may apply.
PVACF will award up to 10 scholarships per school year. Total amount of scholarship funding will be decided annually by the board during the budget process. Initial scholarship fund for the 2017/18 school year will be $10,000 with a maximum scholarship of $1000 per award for full-time student (14+ credit hours per semester) and a maximum scholarship of $500 per award for part-time student (6+ credit hours). Scholarship funds are released solely in the name of the university. Under no circumstances will payment be made to the students. This award will be paid directly to the institution. Awardees must reapply every year.
All components of the application must be post marked no later than July 1st of the year in which application is being made. Late applications will not be accepted, incomplete applications will not be considered. The components of the applications should be clipped, not stapled or bound.
1. Application – Enclosed
2. Personal Statement – The statement should explain why you wish to further your education; short and long academic goals; how this will meet your career objectives; and, how will it affect the PVACF membership. Also describe how and when any unusual family or personal circumstances have affected your achievement in school, work or your participation in other activities.
3. Verification of Enrollment – This can be a copy of your class schedule, confirmation of your registration, or other documentation issued by the college or university showing you are enrolled for the following academic year
4. Two letters of recommendation – Official Form Enclosed – School Official, from your current or most recently attended school. Official Form Enclosed – Personal Reference, from someone other than an immediate family member. To properly identify your letters of recommendation, please have each author attach their letter to the appropriate form.
Review of Applications
The PVACF Scholarship Review Committee will select award recipients based on: application completion, personal statement, academic records, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular and community activities. The review board will also weigh the impact that the potential recipient and their education will have on the chapter.
Initially, applicant will be sent an email acknowledging receipt of application. Applicant will be notified by August 1 of the Review Committee’s decisions. Please do not call the office, as no information will be provided. Once notified of an award, all recipients must submit a Scholarship Confirmation Form prior to funds being released. In addition, a picture would be appreciated for publicity purposes as outlined in the Release Information section of the application.
PVACF advises each applicant to verify the effect this program may have on their VA benefits.
All applications and questions should be directed to: